Catchup: Jewellery

21 June 2011

Hm, that was a long week wasn’t it?

During my hiatus I got the proper varnish for the Fimo so the wonderland bracelet is almost complete. I had to use turpentine to get the wrong varnish off and it took half the paintwork off the Cheshire Cat so I’ve been putting off getting the acrylics out to fix that, perhaps that’ll be a job for this week. There’s some ribbon waiting to go on there as well.

Wonderland Bracelet WIP

Those little bottles are ridiculously cute though. I didn’t realise you could buy them that small until I spotted some on DA. I stuck the glitter in using a neat trick I learned from my Dad’s railway modelling involving watered down PVA glue, an eye dropper and a lot of time, and it’s worked pretty well in the end.

Armed with the varnish I set out to make the most colourful toxically cute thing I could possibly think of. There were stars. There was a rack of little stars drying on my table. And it was cute.

Polymer Clay Stars Varnish Drying Rack

I still haven’t decided what to do with all the stars. And yes, the white ones do glow in the dark.

Polymer Clay Stars

I went nuts for silver charms on my last trip to London and this has been my pet favourite bracelet for the past few months. Shame I didn’t take a photo of it before the fake-suede started to tear but never mind.

Knotted Charm Bracelet

I also pulled out some black and red stars I’ve had for ages and finally managed to get them into something workable:
Red Black Star Bracelet

And somewhere along the line this appeared, but I’m not sure when.

Teal Drop Earrings

Last month on a random day out in Canterbury I finally found some dice beads. I’ve been looking for these for ages; most places only sell them in huge packs and I only wanted a few. So when I found somewhere that not only did them individually but also stocked every colour under the sun, well, that shopping trip was awesome.

Dice Bracelet

I also had an idea to try a lacey wrist cuff which turned my living room into a pile of scissors, elastic and lace for an hour, but I haven’t gotten around to finishing that one yet.

I fell in love with a new craft; needle tatting, which is a lace-making technique that I think looks like an awesome way to use up all those little magatamas I broght when I first started and have hardly used. Finally found the cotton locally yesterday. I couldn’t find any tatting needles so I’ve ended up with doll needles and Perle 8 cotton, and it seems to work pretty well. Conversions from American sizes are a pain in the arse, why can’t anyone measure needles in real mm/inch sizes rather than random numbers? Anyway, I set side an evening with¬†TotusMel’s tutorial on Instructables / Youtube and ended up with this. Not bad.

Instructable Tatting Practice

Oh, and I found another use for the humble CD spindle.

Alternative Use for CD Spindle

And finally, I made this chainmail bracelet years ago but I must’ve completely forgotten to take a picture of it,¬† for some reason it’s not in the gallery yet. I love the coloured rings, but they’re a bitch to get together without scraping the enamel off.

Bees to Butterflies Chainmail

Up next I’ve got some more beads from the Canterbury trip that I haven’t put into anything yet, and a whole host of other beads waiting to be made into things. And all the unfinished projects I just covered. So many beads, so little time…